A Service Learning Trip is a week-long educational journey where volunteers work hand-in-hand with the local community on development projects, mobile medical clinics, and more. The trip allows volunteers to understand the realities of extreme poverty firsthand, personally connect them with the communities that MEDLIFE supports, and ignite action within them to join the MEDLIFE Movement in the fight for a world free from the constraints of poverty.
MEDLIFE offers Service Learning Trips tailored specifically for high school students to volunteer while simultaneously getting to travel abroad, and most importantly, making a difference in the lives of the people in our partner communities.
One of the locations we offer High School SLTs is Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Tamarindo is a town on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, in the province of Guanacaste. Playa Tamarindo and Playa Langosta are two of its well-known surf beaches. Playa Grande, located in the northern portion of Las Baulas National Marine Park, is an important nesting place for giant leatherback turtles. Howler monkeys and crocodiles are among the wildlife that thrives in the mangrove-lined estuary of the Tamarindo Wildlife Refuge.
Aside from getting to travel to a beautiful country, you may have never been to before, there are several other reasons to join a High School Service Learning Trip.
Benefits Of Joining A High School SLT:
- Volunteers get to travel and see different parts of the world
- Learn about medicine, poverty reduction, and education
- Make connections with like-minded people & members of the community
- Add volunteer experience to resume for university or future jobs
- Gain experience in medical care at a rudimentary level
- Parents/guardians and teachers can potentially travel for free by joining an SLT as a chaperone
- Explore the city/country you are volunteering in and experience what it has to offer tourists
- Make a difference in the lives of the people in our partner communities by helping to provide access to medical care, education, housing, and more!
These are just some of the potential benefits you can gain from joining a high school SLT. Everyone’s experience is different, and we welcome you to join and see for yourself how awesome it can be to give back.
To see all our upcoming Service Learning Trips for high school students, visit our website today!